Sunday 28 July 2013

Fixing rust patches in the roof gutter - Part 1

So, as perfect as my lovely Figaro is there was a couple of patches of rust in the roof gutter area.

Here is what I was faced with, dirt, leaves, gunk and patches of surface rust.

Also a nasty patch of rust bubbling under the paint that threatened to get worse in this often wet area of the car.

I pulled back the seal and cleaned up all the muck, this took ages as it was pretty well bonded into the rubber after years of being ignored. I sanded the paint back as much as I could with wire wool and sand paper, I coated the sanded back rusty area with Kurust formula and then sprayed it with Zinc based primer, being VERY careful to mask off the roof and cover everything I didn't want paint on.  Here is the result:
(oops didn't mask the white rubber seal, got a few spatters on there, guess I will fix with white trainer dye)

Next phase is to paint with a close matching white colour, stick the roof seal back down with bostick glue and finally fill in any gaps between the seal and bodywork with a silicon based sealant. Then hopefully we should be good. I will post the final result in part 2 of this post.

1 comment:

  1. Next, check all the spikes that are supposed to go through the gutter, through the fascia board and into the rafter behind it. At most homes, these spikes miss the rafters entirely, usually because the spike has just worked its way out of the hole over the years. It's a good idea to invest in new gutter spikes such as the OMG FastenMaster, so the gutters are securely fastened once again.
    Roofers

    ReplyDelete